Monday, 23 July 2012

Prayer.


                                               Here I work in the hollow of God's hand
                                               with Time bent round into my reach. I touch
                                               the circle of the earth, I throw and catch
                                               the sun and moon by turns into my mind.
                                               I sense the length of it from end to end,
                                               I sway me gently in my flesh and each
                                               point of the process changes as I watch;
                                               the flowers come, the rain follows the wind.

                                               And all I ask is this - and you can see
                                               how far the soul, when it goes under flesh,
                                               is not a soul, is small and creaturish -
                                               that every day the sun comes silently
                                               to set my hands to work and that the moon
                                               turns and returns to meet me when it's done.
                                                                                                 -Alice Oswald.
                                                           From The Thing in the Gap-Stone Stile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.